My Richard Fenton Story


My Richard Fenton Story:
I have enjoyed everyone's Richard stories over the last few days and have debated sharing this one with you all, but could not resist. My sophomore year (before I had a drivers license), I was walking up the high school drive to register for classes prior to school starting. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my calf and looked down to see a small circle with blood oozing out. I had been shot--by a high powered BB gun. I jogged on up to the school--limping a bit--and showed Jane, the secretary, and Richard also happened to be in the room. Jane bandaged me up, and I got registered, then Richard insisted on walking down to the house with me that had been the source of the shot. Now I will spare the details of the conversation that ensued at the house, but I will say that the responsible party did (many years later) apologize to me. So no grudges there [and for those of you who have figured out who did it-please do not post that name as a response]. Richard was the kind of man who wanted to see that the situation was addressed and that it did not happen again, especially to students who walked up and down that drive. Despite being outside his job description, he took the time that day to take care of me and make our community a safer place. He even called my mom that night to check on me and tell her personally what transpired.
Hunter's senior year, we were at his final baseball tournament and Richard was sitting near me. We started talking about how my great uncle had been involved in Dixon baseball back in the day (Arthur "Jack" Jennings). To see Richard's face light up and hear him talk about the old days warmed my heart. He had such kind words for my uncle --who was a catcher, and later a respected umpire. Richard told me that if Jack made a call, no one argued, and everyone respected his judgment. [Imagine a time when no one in Dixon argued at a sporting event!] I noticed Richard settle back down in his seat and look out and Hunter and I felt like I could read his mind....would this kid be as good as his great great uncle? No pressure there, but he did hit a great homer that night.
Richard, I will miss you--you were probably the greatest Bulldog fan ever, and the greatest to ever be. They don't make them like you anymore, and I don't think that the town understands what it just loss with your passing. You were a man of superior character, which is something rarely seen today.
Until we meet again. Go Bulldogs!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts